Friday, June 18, 2010

Arugula and Sausage Pizza

A quick post before the weekend...

Last night a few of us planned to go to my friend Katie's apartment to watch the Celtics in game 7.  In a last minute decision walking home from work, I bought some pizza dough from a tiny pizza place down the street to make homemade pizzas.  I also picked up a few ingredients at Whole Foods and grabbed a few pizza-friendly vegetables from our fridge before heading over to her place.

With a few key contributions from Katie's fridge and herb garden, we threw together four pretty delicious pizzas.  I baked them all at 400, for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese was bubbly and the crust had slightly browned.

The first two pies had sauce, fresh mozzarella, onions, basil and crumbled sausage (taken out of the casing- one pizza had sweet italian and one had spicy).  We made one traditional Caprese with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, but my favorite by far was an arugula pizza.  After rolling the dough out, I brushed it with olive oil and smeared on a good amount of crushed garlic.  I layered on fresh mozzarella and Parmesan and crumbled sweet Italian sausage on top.  When it was done, I piled on loads of fresh baby arugula and sprinkled the top with salt and pepper.

We kept the crust super thin on this pizza, and it really made the difference.  It was crisp and held up the toppings without being too doughy.  The fresh cheese was fantastically drippy and the peppery arugula cut through the richness of the rest of the pizza.  Despite the Celtics' loss, it was still a great night.

Note: I apologize for the lack of pictures. I didn't bring my camera to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment