Saturday, June 19, 2010

Haymarket


I got a little carried away this morning at Haymarket's open air market.  OK, very carried away.  My eyes were bigger than my stomach (and my backpack).  Haymarket is not a farmer's market, but an absurdly cheap wholesale produce market.  They sell everything so cheaply because it's very ripe, sometimes too ripe.  It takes a bit of looking and sorting to find the best fruits and vegetables, but it is well worth it.  For a whopping $21.50 I bought:
  • 6 nectarines
  • 2 containers of raspberries (they got a little smushed on the way home...I had red juice running down my leg)
  • 1 lb. cherries
  • 2 lbs. fresh peas (never cooked with them before)
  • 1 bunch scallions
  • 2 red peppers
  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • 8 plums
  • 1 bunch bananas
  • 1 bag baby carrots
  • 5 heads of garlic
  • 2 avocados (very ripe)
  • 1 bunch each of parsley, cilantro and mint
  • 2 heads of broccoli
  • 2 bunches broccolini (is this redundant?)
  • 2 lemons
  • 3 limes
  • 1 bag of onions
Can you imagine if produce was this cheap everywhere?  I think it would change the way a lot of people eat.

Can't wait to start cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment